During the 1960's the Practice expanded by combining with two other Practices. The first merger was in 1962 when Dr Derek Sutherland, who practised from his Treforest surgery, established some years previously by his predecessor Dr George Mitchell, joined Dr Colin Lewis. In 1966 the Practice combined with the Practice based at The Field in Morgan Street. This Practice had been founded in the early 1900's by Dr Roberts who was succeeded in 1926 by Dr Ben James. Following the death of Dr James in 1952, Dr Woronowsky took over the Practice and in 1954 he was joined by Dr John James one of Dr Ben James' sons, his other son, Dr David James, joined the Ashgrove Practice in 1964 and retired in January 1996.
The combined Practice was located in a purpose built surgery in the grounds of Ashgrove House, the original home and surgery of Dr Dawkins, in Upper Church Street. This surgery was to be the base of the Practice until 1985 when it moved to its present position in Morgan Street. The move was necessary because it had become impossible to provide the increased range of services in the relatively cramped Upper Church Street surgery, even though these premises had been extended on a number of occasions. The new surgery was considered to have been adequate in size for the foreseeable future, but in 1991 it proved necessary to further extend the building.
In 2011 the surgery underwent internal redevelopment to create extra consultation rooms to accommodate the expanding team. The surgery now provides consultation rooms for the present six partners and visiting health professionals as well as providing consulting and clinic rooms for the registrars, practice nurses, health visitors, community nurses and mental health practitioner.
In recent years considerable investment has been made in advanced diagnostic equipment, refurbishment providing improved patient comfort, and in the fitting out of a hospital standard operating suite. The partners are able to utilise these facilities and provide treatment not previously available at the surgery. Additionally, computers are used extensively to ensure the fastest possible access for appointments, results and clinical data and further enhanced by electronic links established with the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.